Welcome!

Welcome!

Monday 25 September 2017

Dealing with difficult personalities

Students come in different ways and varieties, and I'm sure that as teachers, we all have had a difficult student at least once. Let's discuss about two of them: the Complainers and the Clams.





The Complainers, in my opinion, are those people who are difficult to please. No matter how much effort you put in planning your lessons, they will always think that the activities are boring and silly. In this case, I try to explain to those students that what may be silly or boring for them, it might be useful for others. And not all of us learn at the same pace. Thus, it's important to foster their tolerance.


On the other hand, there are the Clams. They are really shy and feel uncomfortable in activities in which they have to participate in some way. They try to avoid situations of conflict and risk-taking. One student of mine is even too shy to ask for clarification when he doesn't understand a task. So, I must walk around the classroom checking if everything is OK. At the beginning, I thought that he disliked me, but when I talked to other teachers, I found out that he behaves in the same way during all the lessons. So, I'm trying to make him participate a bit more: reading aloud or asking for his opinion on debates.
As you can see, we can't help working with difficult personalities, so the best we can do is be patient and give our best!
Daiana

No comments:

Post a Comment